Special to Iredell Free News
The Iredell County Parks & Recreation Department will hold a grand opening and ribbon-cutting
ceremony for the newly renovated East Iredell Lions Club Community Park at 10 a.m. on January 25.
The East Iredell Lions Club donated eight acres and a 2,292-square-foot community building, located at 336 River Hill Road in late 2017 for a new park in the East Iredell community. Initial renovations by the Iredell County Facility Services Department include new HVAC; a complete remodel of the kitchen and bathrooms, making them ADA compliant; expanded parking area; and a short walking trail with benches.
Future improvements will be made based on public input and could include a small playground, multi-use playing field, and a small picnic area.
“We are delighted to see the long-term vision of the East Iredell Lions Club come to fruition,” Parks & Recreation Director Michelle Hepler said. “Our hope is that we have made improvements to enhance the property in a way that will make the Lions Club members proud, while serving the needs of the community through recreational opportunities, which improve health and wellness, as well as quality of life.”
East Iredell Lions Club established their charter in 1959 and the group moved into the clubhouse in 1962.
The building has been available to the community for family reunions, bridal and baby showers, and
birthday and anniversary parties for a nominal fee. There was a ballfield maintained on the property, which was also used by the community.
The East Iredell Lions Club has been most famous for the two ham breakfasts held each year, as well as the fiddler conventions held at Cool Spring School. These fundraisers were conducted to help visual and hearing-impaired citizens in Iredell County.
For more information, contact the Iredell County Park and Recreation Department at 704-878-3103.