Special to Iredell Free News
Loose leaf curbside collection continues for Statesville residents on the new schedule and routes released earlier in the fall. The new schedule consists of five service areas instead of the traditional four, and collection in each area occurs on designated days of the week.
“Unfortunately leaf collection is behind schedule due to weather and limited manpower,” Assistant City Manager Scott Harrell said. “We’ve seen a large decrease in qualified applicants for seasonal positions over the past couple of years, which has really slowed down our collection efforts. Several departments met earlier today, and we’ve come up with a plan to get back on schedule.”
Over the next couple of days, crews from various city departments will be joining forces with Sanitation to train on leaf collection equipment and procedures. Beginning Monday, December 12, the new schedule and routes will continue to be followed, with additional trucks and crews targeting problem areas throughout the city. Leaf collection routes will also continue to run on Saturdays as weather and staffing permits.
The Public Works Department will continue to offer 60-gallon leaf bags to residents at no charge, as bagged leaves can be picked up quicker than loose leaves. In addition to the Customer Service Department located at 301 S. Center Street, bags will be available for pickup at the Statesville Fitness & Activity Center located at 1875 Simonton Road, and the Bentley Center located at 324 Wilmington Avenue.
Staff continues to ask that residents follow curbside etiquette:
• Place leaves on the curb in front of your residence on the edge of the yard and behind the curb
• Do not place leaves on the streets or sidewalks
• Do not park near a leaf pile
• Keep sticks and limbs out of the leaf pile
• Keep leaves away from storm drains
• Do not cover up your water meter
• Area One/Monday: South of W. Front Street and west of S. Center Street/Shelton Avenue. This area includes Bristol Road, Wilson Lee Blvd., and neighborhoods along Wallace Springs Road.
• Area Two/Tuesday: South of E. Broad Street and east of S. Center Street/Shelton Avenue. This area includes neighborhoods in the areas of Florence Road, the Statesville Country Club and Brookmeade.
• Area Three/Wednesday: North of E. Broad Street and east of I-77. This area includes neighborhoods in the areas of Simonton Road and Mocksville Hwy.
• Area Four/Thursday: North of E. Broad Street, between N. Center Street and S I-77. This area includes neighborhoods in the areas of Davie Avenue, Sullivan Road, and Museum Road.
• Area Five/Friday: North of W. Front Street and west of N. Center Street. This area includes neighborhoods along Gregory Road, Ridgeway Avenue, Phoenix Street, Oakland Avenue, and Mitchell Community College Historic District.
If you have questions about the schedule or route, call 704-878-3415 or email email@example.com.