BY KARISSA MILLER
The Iredell County Board of Commissioners will receive an update Tuesday about the national opioid litigation and the total amount of settlement funds Iredell County will receive.
The commissioners’ meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Iredell County Government Center, located 200 S. Center Street in Statesville. The board will also meet at 5 p.m. to discuss items on the agenda in more detail. Both meetings are open to the public.
Finance Director Deb Cheek will give the presentation about the opioid settlement, and the board will vote to consider the approval of special revenue opioid settlement funds in the amount of $1.6 million.
The total amount Iredell County has been awarded is $13,626,946 in Opioid Settlement funds that will be paid out over an 18-year period. Approximately $523,540 has been received and an additional $1.6 million is expected to be received this summer.
According to county documents, the funding must be used to treat Substance Abuse Disorder with 12 directed strategies. Cheek will outline how the county plans to spend the funds, which could possibly be used by EMS, the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office and other departments.
During Tuesday’s meeting, the board will also conduct a public hearing to consider awarding an economic development incentive of up to $418,642 over a five-year period for Project Spark.
The company plans to invest $38 million in Iredell County and create up to 268 high paying new jobs.
Also, the board will:
• Listen to a presentation by South Iredell Fire Rescue Chief Jerry Starr.
• Consider a request from the Sheriff’s Office for approval of a budget amendment in the amount of $66,600 to accept the Internet Crimes Against Children grant. The grant does not require a match.
• Consider a request from the Sheriff’s Office for approval of $100,030 in COVID-19 Support for County Confinement Facilities.
• Consider a request from Stony Point Volunteer Fire Department for approval of a resolution regarding financing with First Community Bank for new apparatus.
• Consider a request from Emergency Management for approval Budget Amendment of $15,320 to receive Emergency Management Performance Grant – American Rescue Plan Act funds.
• Consider a request from the Fire Services/Emergency Management Department for approval of an amendment to the software license agreement with Veoci.
• Consider a request from the Department of Social Services for review and approval of DHHS/Iredell County Memorandum of Understanding (Fiscal Years 2022-2023 and 2023-2024) pursuant to NCGS 108A-74.
• Consider a request from the Human Resources Department for approval of contract with ImageFirst for linen services at the Wellness Clinic.
• Consider a request from the Finance Department for approval of a contract with Debtbook for debt management software.
• Consider a request from the Finance Department for the Adoption of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) specific policies.
• Consider a request from Centralina Workforce Development Board for Iredell County to remain part of the Centralina Workforce Development Consortium.